Friday 28 June 2013

HOW TO: SHEA BUTTER MIX

According to most natural hair bloggers and my natural hair "mentor" Layo (hey Layo!!), shea butter is a must have and must use for healthy and soft natural hair. Of course, my wonderful body has decided that I must develop an allergy to shea butter. In Nigerian salons, they use shea butter a lot and it was during one of my salon visits I noticed it. Once shea butter is anywhere near me, I get a headache, sore throat, runny nose.
Believe me, it's never a nice experience. Due to this, I killed everybody that used swore off shea butter.
However, recently my twa has been dry and refusing to stay moisturized. In searching for solutions I found recipes for both whipped shea butter and a shea butter/oil mix. I really liked the idea and look of the whipped shea butter, but I don't have a whisk and I wasn't (no way no how!) going to whisk with a fork so I decided to make the shea butter/oil mix instead.
whipped shea butter(i couldn't find a picture of shea butter mix&my camera is terrible)

For my mix I used: unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, amla oil, cold pressed castor oil. Basically I took all the oils I had at home and poured in the mix.  The mix cuts down the smell of the shea butter and it is soooo creamy. Because shea butter is solid at room temperature and melts at body temperature, it was easy to store.
RECIPE
INGREDIENTS

  • shea butter - I used about a palm sized amount because I didn't want a lot
  • coconut oil - about a tablespoon
  • any and all oils you want
  • plastic/wooden spoon or a chopstick
  • a plastic container to store it in, you can also use it for the mixing too or get another container for that
Melt the shea butter (I put mine in the microwave for about 20secs, or you can use the double boiler method)
Stir it for about 10seconds, to remove any lumps
Pour the oils in it and stir again
Put it aside until it solidifies. You can just put it in the freezer.
That's all!!
What I love about this mix (apart from the fact that it feeds my mixtress hunger)  is that a little goes a long way. Also, it's so creamy and melts immediately it touches your skin. I've read that you can also use it as a body cream.
Let me know if you tried this out. Also, you can leave any other recipes or amendments in the comment box or send me an email at olowo.tolu@yahoo.com
xxxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

i love to hear from you!please leave a comment on my blog (yes,I am shameless)